, " /> new grass from this fall - Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum

LawnTimes.Com

LawnCareDirectory.com Advertise on LawnTimes Rust and corrosion prevention
Hasty Lawn and Leaf Vacuum LeadsByFone Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals

CADCO

Go Back   Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum > - COMMERICIAL & RESIDENTIAL LAWN CARE - How to maintain lawns for that perfect look > Homeowner & Do It Yourself (DIY) Lawn care & Landscaping

Homeowner & Do It Yourself (DIY) Lawn care & Landscaping This forum is to ask questions, find information and discuss issues in your home landscape.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Default new grass from this fall

i had my lawn killed off, some amendments/compost added, and new grass planted in october here in Virginia beach, Va. The grass came in spotty in some areas with some bare spots(likely from watering with sprinkler hitting the same spot over and over). also, 3/4 of the lawn is bright green, but the boundaries of the yard are yellowish green. my question is what should my schedule be for the new year as i will have to plant areas of new seed in the bare spots, and would like to overseed some areas. hard to put down weed preventer if im planting seeds again. how about fertilizer, lime(soil testing says i need lime)? can i start with something now while it is cold (altough supposed to be 70 tomorrow, lol.) I'm thinking i could sprinkle some lime maybe now? thanks in advance for help. spent a lot of money on a landscaper and cant believe how much work i have to do still.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Imperial member

Spray a concentrated liquid lime and concentrated liquid natural organic 4-3-3 fish and kelp organic fertilizer at a quart per 5,000 square feet. The final dilution on the lawn of these should be 1 to 4%.

If you can provide your soil analysis and grass type, I can be more specific.

Last edited by Tim Vipond : 01-31-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Imperial member

PM me for more information. I have an organic lawn care guide I'd like to send you with an application schedule.

Last edited by Tim Vipond : 01-31-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM
A King at LawnTimes

The door is wide open. ^

You're on the right track by doing a soil test. Adding lime now will work. I'd be getting the landscaper back out there.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Original Member

As phish said, get the lime down when you can, and make sure you put down as much as is recomended from the soil sample. It takes a good bit of lime to change PH.

After that get on a regular fert schedule and stick with it, minus any "weed and feed" applications while seeding. Before and after as well. In other words, forget about the weeds until fall.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM

thanks guys, appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Her Highness of Horticulture

I agree, call the landscaper and ask him/her to come out to have a look at it because you're disappointed in the way the grass is coming in.

But please keep in mind, if you were negligent in providing good after care, ( for example, putting the sprinkler in the same area, every time? Or over or under watering,) you may have caused some of these problems yourself.