, " /> hosting company, stealing you from your current hosting service - Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum

LawnTimes.Com

LawnCareDirectory.com Advertise on LawnTimes Rust and corrosion prevention
Hasty Lawn and Leaf Vacuum LeadsByFone Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals

CADCO

Go Back   Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum > - THE BUSINESS END - Discuss the aspects of running your business > Lawn Care and Landscaping Software and Websites

Lawn Care and Landscaping Software and Websites A forum for web site design and building & software related issues & ideas.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Lawn Star

Default hosting company, stealing you from your current hosting service

This happens quite often, those of you that have had a site for a year or longer need to watch out for this. A couple months before your registration is going to expire, you get an email like this...

Domain Name: *********.COM

To: ******* Lawn Service

Your order #19112601 has been received and is currently processing. Registration includes SE submission for ******.COM for 12 months. There is no obligation to pay for this order unless you complete your payment by Feb 29, 2012. SE Services provides submission services and search engine ranking organization for domain owners.

Failure to complete your search engine registration by Feb 29, 2012 may result in the cancellation of this order (making it difficult for your customers to locate you using search engines on the web).

It looks fairly legit, so you click on the link, and pay for next year...Well, a while later, your original hosting company contacts you, and asks why you switched! My wife fell for this scam a few years back, and it was a PITA, transferring back to the original hosting company.

I got this email the other day, and of course I didn't fall for it, as I know my renewal is in April, not February. I double checked it, at my hosting company, which I am very happy with, and have no desire to switch.

I just thought I'd warn you folks about this popular scam.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

good thing to know cd. thanks.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Original Member

Ya, Crawdad it happens more and more, and no matter what you do on the internet requires a watchful eye. It has become the playground for the dirtbags.

The good news is, financial institutions and companies at large are getting much better at detecting and preventing it all.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Royal member

i actually dabbling with buying/selling domains. have close to 250 i think now, i get these things almost weekly. everytime my bookkeeper is ready to pay them because they look so official. i actually changed the register name on all my domains to something i know, so when i get any type of mail from it, i know its usually junk...
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Original Member

Aint, if ya know what names to buy it is in fact a worthy cause.

Not that I would know though......