, " /> A Real Sportsman - Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum

LawnTimes.Com

LawnCareDirectory.com Advertise on LawnTimes Rust and corrosion prevention
Hasty Lawn and Leaf Vacuum LeadsByFone Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals

CADCO

Go Back   Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum > - FUN TIMES - A place to talk about and share anything (almost) > Ok Sports Fans....

Ok Sports Fans.... Discuss your favorite sports. hunting, fishing, golf, baseball, football.... you name it.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default A Real Sportsman

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter died Thursday after a battle with brain cancer. He was 57.

Affectionately known as the “Kid” during his 19-season major league career, Carter was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2003, his sixth year on the ballot. He was best known for his time with the Montreal Expos and New York Mets.

Gary Carter played for the New York Mets from 1985 to 1989. (AP Photo)
"His nickname 'The Kid' captured how Gary approached life," the Mets said in a statement. "He did everything with enthusiasm and with gusto on and off the field. His smile was infectious. ... He was a Hall of Famer in everything he did."

Carter was a career .262 hitter with 324 homers and 1,225 RBIs. He hit at least 20 homers in nine seasons and topped 100 RBIs four times, leading the National League in that category in 1984 when he drove in 106 runs.

Among catchers, Carter ranks third all-time in RBIs and games caught, and fifth homers and runs scored.

He was an 11-time All-Star, a three-time Gold Glove winner and a five-time Silver Slugger. Additionally he was named to the Sporting News NL All-Star team six times.

Carter was named the MVP of the 1981 and 1984 All-Star Games, and he was the starting catcher for the 1986 World Series champion Mets. In the team’s famous comeback in Game 6 of that World Series against the Boston Red Sox, it was Carter’s two-out hit that ignited the improbable rally and resulted in a come-from-behind 6-5 victory.

"I am so sad! The Kid has left us," fellow Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench tweeted. "I started calling him Kid the first time I met him. He was admired and loved. Thank you for our past."

Former MLB pitcher Rob Dibble tweeted: "I've never met a man who made me want to do more for other people, be a better Father, Husband, friend. He was a joy to be around."

Carter was diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive, fast-moving brain cancer, in May. About a week before the diagnosis, four small tumors were found on his brain after Carter had complained of experiencing confusion and fatigue.

Since that diagnosis, Carter’s family has maintained a blog, which they used to update the public on the Hall of Famer’s condition. On Jan. 21, Carter’s children accepted the Milton and Arthur Richman “You Gotta Have Heart” award for their father at the Baseball Writers of America awards dinner in New York. Those in attendance gave Carter’s two daughters and one son a lengthy standing ovation when they stepped on the stage.

“I'll be telling my Dad about that standing ‘O.’ He likes that a lot,” Kimmy Bloemers, Carter’s daughter told the audience, according to the New York Daily News.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM
A LawnTimes Emperor

Not a big baseball fan but honestly I don't ever remember hearing of him.

"
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Original Member

My nephew has some autographed stuff from a hall of famer that was on one of the routes.

Nothing like todays millionaire players, just an average joe with an average life.

The game and it's players are much different today than they were.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Rigid Member

never really followed the mets much but carter seemed like a great guy. and all this nonsense about whitneys funeral??? people are screwed up...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Royal member

wow, i didnt even hear anything about this.. i grew up on the 86 mets.. pretty ironic strawberrys done enough coke to kill a small army and hes still ticking!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Rigid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
wow, i didnt even hear anything about this.. i grew up on the 86 mets.. pretty ironic strawberrys done enough coke to kill a small army and hes still ticking!
just imagine hangin' with him, gooden and hernandez back in the day.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Royal member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf'n'Turf View Post
just imagine hangin' with him, gooden and hernandez back in the day.
and dykstra.. gq did a big story on him.. what a train wreck
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Original member

i saw a special on Dyksta a couple years ago, what a con man. Can't believe he isn't locked up for all the fraud he's committed. Gary Carter, he was one of those guys that you hated playing against but silently wished he was on your team. Good player, better team guy.

Buck