, " /> I Need a Bed Edger - Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum

LawnTimes.Com

LawnCareDirectory.com Advertise on LawnTimes Rust and corrosion prevention
Hasty Lawn and Leaf Vacuum LeadsByFone Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals

CADCO

Go Back   Lawn Care Forums & Landscaping Forums - LawnTimes Business Forum > - MAINTENANCE & EQUIPMENT - The place to get your hands dirty. > Mowers, Blowers and Trimmers

Mowers, Blowers and Trimmers A forum to discuss the tools of the lawn care trade.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Default I Need a Bed Edger

Ok, so for years, I have rented here and there.

Couple of times, I rented this monster that is single-wheel hydro driven. It has a huge wheel in the front shaped like a dinner plate that can cut and lay over an edge at like 100' feet a minute full speed straight forward. 2 guys following with wheel barrows can't keep up to it. Think that unit new is like 4 grand or more last time I took a look.

Or, I have gotten away by using my redmax stick edger which really is for edging sidewalks and walkways.

Or really small jobs, we use our short and long handle hand spades.

So my question is what do you own, or have used, that you would recommend to me to purchase?

I want to have a designated all-around unit for beds, tree rings, etc.

BTW, this would be for enhancement and refining work, not new bed installation.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
THE KING OF GRASS

We like ez brand,eztrecher I think
Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassman177 View Post
We like ez brand,eztrecher I think
ralph, is it blue and you pull it backwards by hand?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator

christ, i am really getting old.

recently i borrowed and used one of those new echo hand held straight shafts for re-defining beds.

worked pretty well in fact. a bit heavy though.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
A LawnTimes Emperor

Depends on how much damage you want to do. The ez trencher and the brown trencher really spin fast and use brute force to do the job. And while they chew thru the tree roots just fine, they cut thru Catv lines like a knife thru butter, irrigation lines makes a chattering sound as they exit the discharge chute, and underground utility lines like conduit and gas lines have a tendency to get tangled up in the blades. I know all about underground utility markings and its somewhere within 4 ft of where we mark it. Sure they repair for free but they never reimburse you for time wasted while you wait for them to show up.
Going forward or backward has its advantages and disadvantages but muddy days are nightmares.
The little wonder machine is all right and the blade turns slow enough to prevent some damage.
The turf teq machine has my fancy because there is a bunch of blades and implements to use.
the little wonder, turf tech and walker ztr use that dish size blade orginally invented by ATV corp in Lancaster. Unfortunately all these machines are hard to control in tight areas and you have a tendency to make the beds larger and larger in order to give a clean defined edge.
Bottom line, I like to use the receipticoting blade edger of Turfco or Ryan. It doesn't do a lot of damage and sometimes tree roots stop em dead but you can do a two foot circle. Sure its slow and you have to follow it with a spade, but sometimes all you need is a edge, you don't have to throw massive amounts of dirt into the mulch requiring you to remulch everything. Most important you can do a tree in a island in the middle of a parking lot.

Having said that, I'm always stuck with using whatever the local rental yard has
Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 AM
A King at LawnTimes

I'd check into the Turf Teq Rod. I have the Little Wonder in it's original version, which is far better than the others out there. GOing backwards sucks, and you have to be a gorilla to manhandle the Brown around all day. And with the blade I've used, if you have groundcover, you have no choice but to make the bed 4-5" wider every time.

I have a Little Wonder (Bedshaper), the Echo and a sodcutter, all used somewhat regularly for edging beds, just depends on what we're doing.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM
THE KING OF GRASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodfather View Post
ralph, is it blue and you pull it backwards by hand?
yes, blue and red, i think you pull all of them backwards though.

it is easy to manuever and does a great job. there are several models, i cant tell you which we got, but it has steerable wheels where others dont
Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassman177 View Post
yes, blue and red, i think you pull all of them backwards though.

it is easy to manuever and does a great job. there are several models, i cant tell you which we got, but it has steerable wheels where others dont
ok and thanks, i have used that twice in the past couple years.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Mark View Post
I'd check into the Turf Teq Rod. I have the Little Wonder in it's original version, which is far better than the others out there. GOing backwards sucks, and you have to be a gorilla to manhandle the Brown around all day. And with the blade I've used, if you have groundcover, you have no choice but to make the bed 4-5" wider every time.

I have a Little Wonder (Bedshaper), the Echo and a sodcutter, all used somewhat regularly for edging beds, just depends on what we're doing.
so what you're saying is it really depends on what the bed's conditions are i guess?

well i can see that easily.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
A LawnTimes Emperor

I have a brown with a a blade for new beds and a blade for redinining an existing edge. Never had any trouble with it and never found it hard to use. AND it's for sale

"